Thursday, February 14, 2008

Letter from Eli

For the past year, I have served you, the students, as Director of Programming for ASUN (the year before I was the Flipside Travel and Recreation Chair). Under my administration, the Flipside Programming Board has begun many new initiatives that have never before been attempted on this campus. We started the Nevada Speaker Series and have brought many personalities to campus to speak to students on many challenging issues. Ralph Nader came to campus and talked to us about the importance of being politically active as young Americans and the importance of being environmentally sound. Denise Cordova came and talked about homosexuality and religion. Survivors from the Darfur Genocide came to speak about their experiences.

Flipside had an incredible Homecoming this year and has started a few new traditions. Our midnight pancake breakfast during Welcome Week had over 800 students in attendance (the most highly attended non-athletic Flipside event since Michael Moore coming to campus in 2004). This semester, I personally planned the Coffee and a Concert Series, which will bring 9 acoustic musicians or spoken word poets to the Starbucks in the Joe almost every Wednesday night this semester. We started the Howl at the Moon late-night events that have had an average of 300-400 students in attendance. There are countless other achievements that Flipside has accomplished this year under my administration and with the tireless effort of our amazing chairpersons.

ASUN is in control of big money; potentially $1.7 million next year. You are going to need someone in office who has a proven record for being responsible with money and who has a solid record of producing results. This year, Flipside was responsible for a $138,000 budget which was spent, and accounted for, with the greatest care as to not waste a single cent of students’ money. Elect me your President, and I will be a good steward of your hard-earned money.

One of the most important factors in getting goals accomplished on campus is knowing how to navigate the University system. Through my years of ASUN experience, I have developed relations and earned the respect of working with most major departments on campus from Athletics to Greek Life to University Communications (Marketing) to Dr. Glick. All of the goals I have set for this year are extremely practical and easily achieved bringing all of my relationships around campus to bear.

Ultimately, I have poured my heart and soul into serving you, the students, during my last three years on campus. I have sacrificed many things in order to make all of our college experiences better. Elect me your President and let me focus my passion and energy for our University into making your time here at the University of Nevada better. I am here to serve you, and that is exactly what I will do as your President. Thank you.

No comments: